Whether it is a job interview, a performance management conversation, a new project assignment, or any other important meeting, the questions you ask matter. They point you toward valuable information and make a quality impression, or they limit your understanding and show you to be shallow.
(In fact, when I interview people I place equal weight on the quality of the questions they ask me vs. the quality of their answers to my questions.)
So what questions should you ask?
Here are a few of my favorites that can be adapted to most big conversations.
- What are the company’s big strategic goals?
- What are your (hiring manager, your manager, etc.) big strategic goals and how are you being measured?
- How does my role/this project support those goals?
- What would you have to see happen in 3, 6, 12 months for you to consider my work to be a success?
- How do you see any/all of these goals shifting during this year and in years to come?